HISTORY

Irvin J. Knieriem, a young man with a vision saw the need and felt the call to bring Truth to Somerset. He was joined in arm with his dear wife, Doris Knieriem. Born and reared in the Pocahontas area of Somerset County, educated at the Bethany Seminary in Chicago, baptized in the name of Jesus Christ and filled with the Holy Ghost in 1954; this man and woman were equipped and ready to spread the Word of Truth.

On May 20, 2014, Bishop Irvin James Knieriem, 83, went on to be with the Lord at his home.

He presided as the Bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ Apostolic organization for 39 years and pastored the Church of Jesus Christ Apostolic in Somerset for nearly 55 years. He dedicated his life to the work of the Lord and ministering to others’ needs. Bishop Knieriem’s testimony, heritage, and revelation of Jesus Christ lives on today through countless testimonies because this man of God was grounded and settled in the faith, not moved away from the hope of the gospel which was once delivered unto the saints.

1959

The Church of Jesus Christ Apostolic was born under a tent during an eight-week revival that was located on Plank Road. After preaching every night and working everyday, a harvest of souls began. Dale and Geraldine Smith were the first converts to be baptized in Jesus’ name by Bishop Knieriem.



The Glencoe School Building (left) was the location of the first Apostolic church services after the tent revival. The small congregation of twenty saints rented a Church of God building in Shawleytown at the southern end of Somerset. The arrangements did not work out as planned, so a different location was sought. A Baptist Church building (right) was secured, rent-free, on the 700 block of South Center Ave. The Church grew and thrived to a congregation of about forty saints in a two-year period.

Another tent revival was held in 1960 and with it came a new wave of saints that were full of faith and ambition. The decision was made to search for property to build a new Church building to house the growing congregation. Knieriem purchased two lots on which the Church would be built from a sister in the congregation. With a lot of faith, hard work and a little money – the building project began and through the miraculous Hand of God, a building was constructed at 141 Forward Blvd. for The Kingdom of God. In 1973 the Sunday School building was built next to the Church. The original purpose of the building was to provide a venue for fellowship. Due to growth in the Sunday School Department the building was converted in 1989 for use as Sunday School classrooms.

1995

The Apostolic Christian Academy was founded. Acting on the God given, mutually shared, burden of Biblically based education, Knieriem and a former elder started the development of the Christian school, which began with the 1995-1996 academic year.

2023

The First Family Pavilion was built on our acreage for future growth and development. The name honors the very first family as well as every family from First Apostolic Church. The facility has already been put to good use for outdoor services, fellowship, picnics, and other gatherings. By faith, a new sanctuary will be built on this property. Pastor Bradley and his family will continue along with the church families to labor in the field guided by God’s hand, relying on Him to provide the increase.